1. NFS on vSphere – Technical Deep Dive on Same Subnet Storage Traffic « Wahl Network

[...] NFS on vSphere – Technical Deep Dive on Load Based Teaming Share this:MoreLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

2. NFS on vSphere – Technical Deep Dive on Multiple Subnet Storage Traffic « Wahl Network

3. NFS on vSphere – A Few Misconceptions « Wahl Network

4. drechsau
    drechsau at |

Wow, that was great, thank you!

5. Adam B
    Adam B at |

What changes when you use the 1000v DVS? I know LACP is supported on the 1000v, but does it allow us to aggregate bandwidth without having to create multiple IPs/Subnets/VKernels?

6. nOon
    nOon at |

It’s nice to see another nfs fan for vmware infrastructure.
    I make nearly the same test 2 years ago and i think the same. the only way to make load balancing was to use multiple network and multiple mount point.
    And it’s a shame because one of the advantage of NFS is t have less datastore on our infrastructure.
    I just wait a pnfs implementation on vmware.

7. Marcos
    Marcos at |

Regarding “Turning on LBT is non-invasive and does not impact the active workloads.” I have to disagree,
    I do have NetApp storage as well, and a configuration pretty much the same as emplained here, and using a VMWare View instance to serve a few hundred Virtual Desktops, and we had constant problems of users being disconnected randomly, and the day that I removed the LBT feature was when it all began to work correctly.

8. Ben
    Ben at |

Question : does that mean you have tog mount your nfs datastores x times in vmware? As seende in your screenshot….?

9. Nexenta storage for the vLab | Erik Bussink

[...] NFS on vSphere – Technical Deep Dive on Load Based Teaming by Chris [...]

10. DR3Z
    DR3Z at |

Chris,

Great post! Can you explain the “unique least significant bits”. I’m not network tech my any means and am trying to understand. Can you provide an example?

Thank you!!

11. Adam
    Adam at |

Great post. I’m going to try and implement this setup with the new hardware I just got in.

I’m setting up a 4 port NetApp filer and just wanted to confirm that each port on the filer would have an IP in a different subnet and also reside in it’s own VLAN with this setup? No vifs with alias’ would be setup on the NetApp because this uses LBT and not ip hash correct?

Thanks.

12. Steve L
    Steve L at |

No real discussion to add, just kudos. Due to circumstances I have had limited NFS exposure in my career and this thread helped clear every last uncertainty I had in a very concise manner. Well done sir.

13. Paul
    Paul at |

Hello Chris

I wonder if you could review the below config and let me know your thoughts on the question that follows. I’ve read your posts and Google’d but yet to find a definitive answer:

1. We have 4 x ESXi 5.1 hosts
    2. Each host has 6 x 1Gbps physical NICs (vmnic0-vmnic5)
    3. A DVS has been created and a DVS portgroup setup (for NFS) with Route Based on Physical NIC Load set (LBT) and ActiveUplinks set with dvUplink4 and dvUplink5 (therefore two active uplinks). The remaining uplinks are set to unused (assigned to other services, management etc).
    4. The DVS NFS portgroup has vmk1 bound with an IP address assigned.
    5. 4 x NFS datastores have been mounted via the single vmk1 IP address.

Question: Will LBT drive traffic through both uplinks (dvUplink4 and dvUplink5) if traffic exceeds 75% on the first hypervisor selected uplink?

Thanks!
    Paul

14. Paul
    Paul at |

Thanks for your follow up reply, appreciate your time.

Cheers
    Paul

15. GOOD ARTICLES TO UNDERSTAND LACP & STATIC ETHERCHANNEL | RJ Approves This Message!