1. Will
    Will at |

Excellent post! Finally spells out overcomplicating a simple situation.

2. Josh Odgers (VCDX#90)
    Josh Odgers (VCDX#90) at |

Totally Agree! Well said.

3. Blazing Fast Workload Migrations with Multi-NIC vMotion [Video] via @ChrisWahl | Wahl Network

[…] along vMotion traffic, even when only a single VM is being migrated. It doesn’t require any static-LAG nonsense or other network voodoo; you just configure it properly in vSphere and it works. Because nearly […]

4. Mike Brown
    Mike Brown at |

Great read as always, glad I’m not the only one seeing this in the field :)

5. Rickard Nobel
    Rickard Nobel at |

I do also agree. I think the Link Aggregation methods are some of the most least understood technologies in both vSphere and general networking.

6. vSphere Does Not Need LAG Bandaids | Wahl Network

[…] over a year ago, I wrote a post outlining my distaste for the use of Link Aggregation Groups (LAG) for vSphere hosts when storage is concerned. For those not into network hipster slang, any […]

7. regmiboyer
    regmiboyer at |

This one is great, I was aware of the multiple export with different IP to overcome a better design for IP HASH and performance. But I have never thought of the ip address to be used which will be considered for the hash calculation.Good one.

8. Jason
    Jason at |

Good read. Question for you, the vSwitch I have has 3 kernel adaptors. One for iSCSI, vMotion, and VMFT. I only have 4 nic’s available. Would you recommend using 2 for iSCSI, 2 for vMotion and then adding VMFT to one of the four? Just not sure which way to go.

9. KoMV-Music
    KoMV-Music at |

Your design isn’t as great as you think it is, coming from a network engineer. The reason is the switch will only send the return traffic back on the port it learned the source mac-address. If that is constantly moving around, it messes with the switch or creates limited broadcast groups (depending on how the switch handles it, topology, etc.). Now in a smaller, less redundant network, it is less of an issue. But a more redundant design could potentially create small outages for your system or periodic traffic changes. The correct design would be to upgrade the links to 10gbps.