1. Emulex OneCommand Manager in the vSphere Web Client via @ChrisWahl | Wahl Network

[…] hassle keeping them updated with the latest firmware. As an expansion on my previous post covering how to update the BIOS of my Supermicro whitebox servers, this post will go deeper into managing my home lab. Specifically, we’ll cover the […]

2. severian37
    severian37 at |

Thanks for this – I’ve been doing it the hard way with a cd.

3. Brad
    Brad at |

Supermicro bios is always so buggy. Do they even test these things

1. Vlad
      Vlad at |

4. Jeff
    Jeff at |

Thank you!!! I have been looking all over for something like Rufus!! 🙂

5. Pierre
    Pierre at |

Too easy! Thank you. Rufus!

6. Edward Grigson
    Edward Grigson at |

Just had to upgrade my lab host too, and while this all works its unbelievable that DOS boot disks are still needed in 2014. Supermicro do have a way of upgrading BIOS via the IPMI card but it’s an additional licence and I couldn’t find any information about buying it anyway. A more painful procedure than it should be. Aren’t we in the era of software defined, not jumpers on motherboards and DOS? Sigh.

7. Chad
    Chad at |

Can’t get this working even in Rufus. I basically made a bootable USB using Rufus. As your post shows, I copied extracted files into root of USB. I tried to attach the USB using virtual storage/media via IPMI and get this.

Screenshots show my usb structure and attachment error.

8. Adam Sova
    Adam Sova at |

I had some difficulties with BIOS update of out X10SRi-F too. I have Hyper-V 2012 R2 on it in EFI mode.

What to check for:
    – In BIOS: all (U)EFI things switched off (or to Legacy) first … after update change to EFI again (I had blank/black screen – it turned out I forgot one more EFI settings under PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration : Onboard Video Option ROM)
    – make bootable USB with Rufus as mentioned in this post (if you have small USB like 512MB, try FAT instead of FAT32)
    – try to plug this bootable USB in your USB2 port (best in back ports of your motherboard) rather then USB3 before you try to mount it in KVM as Virtual storage …. my USB3 front ports didn’t work for me
    – I launced KVM from SuperMicro free tool: IPMI View v2.10.2 (in case you use Chrome and have troubles with java etc.)

I case this too does not work, there is another way:
    – I was able to update using AFUWINx64.EXE with same switches as are in FLASH.BAT in orig BIOS zip file… for me it was: afudos BINIMAGE /P /B /N /K /R /ME
    – I did not try the EFI way: AfuEfix64.efi (it shoul work by placing AfuEfix64.efi and BIOS file on usb, then boot to EFI shell from BIOS and finally cd to USB and run AfuEfix64.efi BINIMAGE /P /B /N /K /R /ME) … not guaranteed 🙂

9. Andreas
    Andreas at |

Get a mainboard with IPMI, all boards with a “-F” in the name and a BIOS update license which costs very little money (around $10 or 20). Then you can update the BIOS from inside IPMI which works much more reliable. AND .. if you shall have flashed badly, then then you can Connect via LAN to IPMI Management and re-flash ! Simple as that.

10. Eric Westlund
    Eric Westlund at |

I attempted to update the bios in my Supermicro X9SRI-F board using a FAT32 flash drive and the current AMI.BAT file listed on Supermicro’s site. It successfully reads the file, FFS checksum is ok, then takes about 5 minutes before displaying “Erasing Flash … 0x00060000 (9%)” and is now locked up. I’ve attempted it with the JPME1 jumper in the force update setting with the same result. My board is an early model that still has bios ver. 1.0b. Supermicro no longer has 2 batch files – one for early bios versions and another for later versions. I’m wondering what differences there were in command line switches between the AMI1.BAT and AMI2.BAT files. I have also attempted to update the bios using their SuperDoctor utility. I got the same result – locking up windows server 2012 R2 so that I could not even get to the task manager. Supermicro tech support has apparently not run into this issue before and has no words of wisdom. At this point I’m wondering if the bios chip has a bad address that is preventing the update but has not prevented the original bios from functioning. I’m afraid to start experimenting with flash utility command line switches for fear I will permanently disable the board.

11. TCarter
    TCarter at |

Thanks for the assistance.
    Unfortunately, whatever I tried I couldn’t get the BIOS to boot from the USB in Legacy mode. I had to create the USBdisk using MSDOS (instead of FreeDOS).

Then (in SuperMicro’s infinite wisdom of creating the worst and most frustrating BIOS in the history of PCs), the BIOS flash process reset every BIOS setting, including the SATA mode setting (eg. RAID mode was reset to AHCI). This meant that although my RAID 1 volumes had been seemingly reset to individual AHCI disks, I should just be able to configure the BIOS settings back the way the were and the RAID volumes should come back. This means set the SATA mode back to RAID, make sure I’m using the same RAID ROM type (Intel or LSI) as I was previously (in my case Intel). The the onboard RAID controller should read the disks and their RAID volume configs and the RAID volumes should magically appear they way they were… and they did.

So after resetting all the BIOS configs back to the way they should be, I configured the SATA mode to RAID. Reboot and check the Intel controller picks up the RAID volumes correctly, yes. Reboot back to the BIOS to configure the boot order so it boots from the Intel RAID volume. Reboot again to boot the OS and this is where it turned real bad.

The server blue screens with the fatal BSOD Stop error 0x0000007B (Inaccessible Boot Device).

This normally is an error switching from AHCI to RAID mode (or IDE to AHCI) without enabling drivers first in the registry. But I was already using RAID mode before the BIOS update and hadn’t booted the OS before setting the BIOS back to the way it was prior to the BIOS flash.
    I tried modifying a few other settings in the BIOS before deciding to try using F8 during boot to access Safe Mode but that met with the same BSOD 0x7B error.
    I decided to try my luck with the “Last Known Good Config” boot option and behold, the server booted.
    Then after logging in I was greeted with a driver update “You must restart your computer to apply these changes” which is what happens when the IDE/AHCI/RAID mode is changed with the registry changes first applied to enable the driver to install.
    Seems it might be a result of updating the Intel ME or the Intel RST drivers to a newer version during the BIOS flash.
    Hope it helps anyone else with the same BSOD after flashing.

12. My PSOD’s are finally gone!!!
    My PSOD’s are finally gone!!! at |

[…] Next day I updated the BIOS which was a very intens process because if you want to do a BIOS update trough the IPMI you need some kind of stupid licence (SFT-OOB-LIC) which cost around $30. Because getting this licence would take more then 1 day I could not wait I decided to follow this procedure. […]

13. Whyyy
    Whyyy at |

This would be great if… uhm.. you know, Rufus actually allowed you to make boot disks. But it doesn’t. Not without downloading other tools. Your tutorial needs to be reviewed.

Your “Default configuration” is not default, you had FreeDOS installed. Most of us don’t, therefore can’t follow this tutorial.

1. TCarter
      TCarter at |

@Whyyy Rufus (get from here https://rufus.akeo.ie) absolutely does allow the creation of a DOS boot disk without downloading anything else. It comes with FreeDOS.

Download the .exe, run it (and with the default options), you too will be able to create a DOS boot disk.

2. drizuid
      drizuid at |

This is simply untrue, i just downloaded the latest rufus today, have never used freedos in my life and the option was there. I believe you ran into a pebkac error.

14. Tex Ranger
    Tex Ranger at |

Hi,

I used the method described here: http://crashmag.net/creating-a-bootable-firmware-bios-update-iso-for-your-supermicro-motherboard

In addition to his instructions and coinciding with this post, I also removed (REM’d out) the line “REN AFUDOSU.SMC AFUDOSU.EXE” ins ami_1.bat and ran ami_1.bat x9scm5.220 (for my mobo).