1. Patrik
    Patrik at |

Hi Chris!

I use Cloud Sync on my Synology to backup data to my Google Drive. Works great. There is howver one limitation. Max file size is 10GB. This makes it dificult to sync backups of VMs as they are usually larger than 10GB. Is the file size limit lifted in the new DSM version?

2. Nick Jr
    Nick Jr at |

Cloud can be good for other things. But not for file sharing. Binfer on the other hand bypasses cloud storage servers making it very safe to send secure data. About cloudless sharing.

3. Running GitLab and Jenkins Containers on Docker in Synology DSM 5.2 - Wahl Network

[…] tinker around with Synology’s DSM 5.2 Beta, although this time I’ve switched gears from Google Nearline via Cloud Sync to deploying Docker on my ioSafe. That’s crazy just to write in a single sentence – […]

4. Terry Carlin
    Terry Carlin at |

Many thanks for the guide, used it with SynchBackPro as we’ve got too many files to synch.

5. Janus
    Janus at |

Failed to list buckets is what I’m experiencing.

Now what? I’ve enabled the Google Cloud Storage api.

1. Eric
      Eric at |

Yes, I’m also getting ‘failed to list buckets’ . Checked and rechecked info, made new keys, no luck. Anybody have any advice?

6. Janus
    Janus at |

Still no connection, but I noticed that I’m not using DSM beta, but instead DSM 5.2-5565, maybe Synology fixed something.

Anyone not using beta and can list the buckets?

7. Wayne
    Wayne at |

I updated Cloud Sync to the lastest version and I was able to get it working using these steps from this forum -http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=251&t=98124&p=378745&hilit=nearline#p378745

1. Go to your console ( https://console.developers.google.com/ ) and create a project.
    2. Create a bucket in Storage -> Cloud Storage -> Storage Browser
    3. Go to Storage -> Cloud Storage -> Storage Access and enable Interoperability
    4. Generate access key
    5. Now go to DSM 5.2 and install Cloud Sync if you havent already.
    6. Pick S3 storage
    7. The input next to the label “S3 Server” is both text input and drop-down. This is where you write “storage.googleapis.com”
    8. Enter key and secret.
    9. You should now be able to choose your GCS bucket from the last drop-down.
    10. The rest is the usual setup.

8. Jamie Dunbar
    Jamie Dunbar at |

Its annoying the key only works for one project. Thanks for this solution though.

9. Eric
    Eric at |

Wayne, I’ve been trying those steps too – step 9 still fails for me, with ‘Failed to List Buckets’ error. I made a whole new project in Nearline and generated new keys, same result.

1. Kisuk Kim
      Kisuk Kim at |

Did you type in “storage.googleapis.com” instead of selecting anything from the drop-down list?

10. Bryan Siegfried
    Bryan Siegfried at |

I know that I can encrypt data before sending it through to Google storage. However, this bogs down my DSM’s storage space and processing power. I would be sufficiently happy with the situation if the connection between DSM Cloud Sync and Google’s cloud storage was secured with https/tls. Do you know if this traffic is secured or not? It is particularly difficult to find this information on DSM’s documentation. The lack of a choice leads me to think it ought to be encrypted whenever possible, but that is certainly not a guarantee.

11. latitudehopper
    latitudehopper at |

Does anyone know if there is an elegant way of using this method with existing data in the cloud? I tried it and it appears to be re-syncing the lot.

12. Kisuk Kim
    Kisuk Kim at |

Great article! How do I retrieve/restore the data from Google Nearline?

13. jeff kohl
    jeff kohl at |

I was also getting failed to list buckets

14. David Conway
    David Conway at |

At one point I had the “failed to list buckets” problem but now (after update to the Cloud Sync app) I’ve got it working for one syncing folder. Note that I didn’t need to enable “interoperability” and get a key. Instead during the Cloud Sync setup flow I was taken to the standard Google OAUTH2 webpage dialog to grant permission for the Synology to get access to me Google account.

The problem I’m having now is that I can sync one folder (one “task” in the cloud sync app) but it won’t sync a second. Does anyone know why or how to fix that?

15. Jean Gionet
    Jean Gionet at |

has anyone been able to use this using the Synology Bacup&Restore app?
    I’ve tried it and it fails at the last step when I try and apply all the settings. (using DSM 6 beta)

16. Arno Zwaag
    Arno Zwaag at |

@Jean, not yet. Posted a bug [email protected] about this for DSM 6 Beta

17. lino
    lino at |

same here, last step failes

18. Derek Ferczak
    Derek Ferczak at |

David Conway, Were you able to find a way to sync all shared folders on the NAS? I have the same issue, I can only create 1 task which allows me to sync only 1 folder.