5 Responses

  1. CPW
    CPW at |

    You saved my day! Thanks, works perfectly!

    Reply
  2. Herb Martin
    Herb Martin at |

    Excellent (still testing if it works for *my* problem.)

    WARNING: On my DC (2008-R2) the GPO setting was name just differently enough to give trouble locating it:

    “Prevent performance of First Run Customize Settings”

    Instead of “Prevent RUNNING First Run wizard”.

    Really weird part is that when exported with GPResult on the target machines (also 2008-R2) it used the name provided in the article: “Prevent running First Run wizard”.

    Reply
  3. Shiva
    Shiva at |

    You made my day! I was wrestling with this issue for hours on Friday. I noticed my PS Script that invokes a REST API endpoint worked fine under my creds on the DEV Server, but kept failing with this error when I rant it as the Service Account user.
    Turns out that this wizard was the problem, and the script was running fine under my user since I had remoted into it and opened up IE and selected the wizard setting, but didn’t do so with the service user.

    Thanks so much!

    Reply
  4. Alain Bora
    Alain Bora at |

    Great post!

    Here’s the fix via registry file in case you can’t/don’t want to use a GPO:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    “DisableFirstRunCustomize”=dword:00000001

    Reply
  5. Ashwin
    Ashwin at |

    Although a simple one, it helped me a lot.. thank you very much.

    Reply

Share your point of view!