This page contains a curated list of content focused on the topics for which I’m most passionate: Platform Engineering, Infrastructure as Code, Continuous Integration, Cloud Architecture, Containers, and APIs.
The purpose of the platform engineering team is to make the time between someone (anyone) having an idea, and then seeing if it actually works, as close to zero as possible. Low friction, quick responses, rich feedback. That experience is the engine that powers the development of a product.
- Platform Engineering with Vending Machines, Contracts, and Pipelines
- Platform Engineering is Product Design at Scale
- Lessons I’ve Learned Leading a Platform Engineering Team
Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
The modern approach to resource lifecycle management. All resources and related configuration are stored in a structured format for a declarative deployment. Teams are empowered to collaborate at the code layer using Version Control Systems (VCS) to propose, plan, and apply change.
- Tinkering with Terraform 0.14 RC1
- Using Checkov for Infrastructure as Code Security Audits
- Windows Aliases for Terraform and Git
- Terraform Plans, Modules, and Remote State
- Terraform Upgrade to 0.13 in Production
- AWS Launch Template with Dynamic User Data
- Using Terraform to Manage Git Repositories
- Using Private Git Repositories as Terraform Modules
- Dependency Pinning with Infrastructure as Code
- WordPress Admin Protection with a Cloudflare Firewall Rule
- Reconfigure a Terraform Backend for Rotated AWS Access Keys
- Filter Terraform Data Source by AWS Tag
- In-Line Route Conflicts with Terraform and AWS
Continuous Integration (CI)
The modern approach to resource change management and building software. Automation is used to validate, test, lint, audit, stage, and deploy change, such as new cloud resources or updated software configurations, into the desired environment. Human intervention is applied lightly based on business policy and risk tolerance.
- Continuous Integration (CI) Fundamentals
- Using Developer Methodologies to Build Collaborative Operations
- How to Version and Publish a PowerShell Module to GitHub and PSGallery with AppVeyor
- Encrypting Environmental Variables with AppVeyor
The modern approach to building services and storing data. The cloud provider supplies APIs, Software Development Kits (SDKs), and tooling integrations using a pre-defined cost structure. Developers and operators translate their conceptual and logical designs into physical deployments across infrastructure-, platform-, and software-as-a-service offerings.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Serverless / Functions as a Service (FaaS)
- Serverless Survey Statistics Scrutinized
- Importing Python Modules in AWS Lambda Functions
- AWS SAM Global Tags
- How to Create AWS Lambda Layers for Python
- Using Layer Version ARNs with AWS Lambda
- How to Write Serverless PowerShell Code for AWS Lambda
- Building a Bot with AWS Lex, Lambda, and Rubrik
- Passing The AWS Solutions Architect Professional Exam
- Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer Mind Map
- AWS Solutions Architect Associate (SAA-C02) Exam Tips
The modern approach to deploying applications using declarative constructs. Topics range from building images, packaging tools, designing highly available Kubernetes clusters, networking plugins, data protection, and much more.
The modern approach to interacting with services and data. A contract is formed by the API provider defining the schema, model, parameters, authentication requirements, and operations available for consumption. APIs underpin the foundation of all modern software development and infrastructure as code solutions.
- An Introduction to GraphQL Queries and Mutations
- Resource Archetypes and PUT and POST Methods
- An Introduction to RESTful APIs
- Working with RESTful API Query, Body, and Path Parameters
- Why Published APIs Are Critical for the Future of Infrastructure Operations
- The PATCH Method – Non-Safe, Non-Idempotent, Totally Rad
- How to Query GraphQL APIs with Python
- Adding WhatIf and Confirm Parameters to PowerShell API Calls
- Sending Data Using PowerShell and RESTful API Methods
- Using the GET Method with PowerShell and RESTful APIs
- Tackling Basic RESTful Authentication with PowerShell
- Introducing the Community PowerShell Module for Rubrik
- Using Try and Catch with PowerShell’s Invoke-WebRequest
- Leveraging PowerShell to Deploy Virtual Network Tiers with VMware NSX
- Creating NSX API Calls with PowerShell
- Working with NSX – Deploying NSX Controllers via GUI and API